This recipe comes from the Standard-Examiner Recipe Exchange Cookbook and was submitted by Dave Metcalfe.
- 1 pound Polish sausage or smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 pounds Southern—type hash browns (or 4 medium potatoes, cubed)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion, optional
- 1/8 cup chopped green pepper, optional
- 1 small can chopped mushrooms, optional
- 1 small can sliced olives, optional
- 1 small can chopped chilies, optional
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound shredded cheese, divided
Using a 12-inch Dutch oven or deep frying pan, lightly brown sausage in oil. Add potatoes and onions and cook over medium heat until tender (also add other optional ingredients if desired.)
Break eggs into pan and cook until set. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in half of the cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and let stand 5 minutes until cheese in melted.
Serve as is or with ketchup or salsa. Serves 4 to 6.